Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ridiculously Blessed

Many of you may know that my husband was laid off on January 11th. Some of you know that this is our second layoff in 2 years. What can I say, the economy has been hell on the architectural world.

The last time he was laid off (May 2008) we walked away form the company with about $20,000 in cash and 401K, etc. I figured, I have money, I don't need anything else. We'll be fine.

Wrong.

Less than a month later, I was ready to file for divorce. She can tell you how many times I cried and threw things because I hated him so much and couldn't stand to be around him anymore.

Obviously, we survived it. Somehow. He finally found a job in late August.

This time around, we walked away with literally nothing. He received 2 weeks severence pay. That was it. I was terrified because I had no money and was more than convinced that our marriage would not survive another layoff.

How wrong I was.

We're Mormon. (Did you not know that?) We have been receiving food from the Bishop's Store House since the layoff. (Because I have the best RS prez around. FYI.)

Scott picked up one of our orders this morning. As I was putting the food away, filling every space I had available, I was muttering about how we have too much freaking food.

I froze in mid step. Too much food?? We are unemployed with no prospects. Is there such a thing as "too much food"?

I'm not stupid. I know that there are people out there that are way worse of than we are.

Not only that, but we are really, really happy. Do I get annoyed with him sometimes? Sure. He's in my house all day. That's to be expected. Do I hate him? Am I ready to toss him out? Absolutely not.

Why??

All I know is, I have a way better attitude this time around. We are attending church regularly, paying our tithing, and fulfilling our callings. (I teach Relief Society. Can you belive it? I can't. They think I am "real." Seriously.) We pray together and attend the temple more frequently.

I know I should be freaking out about the fact that we have minimal money and no job prospects. I'm not. I'm so thankful for a kind and loving Heavenly Father that is looking out for me and my family.

I am truly blessed.

7 comments:

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Thanks for making me tear up on my wednesday.. :P Love you guys and am happy things are better this time around. You're in our prayers that Scott will find work soon and there won't be another "this time around"

greta said...

i LOVE you tenille. you're freaking awesome! i'm grateful as well you your little family are doing good. we too, have been keeping you guys in our prayers!

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

I had no idea that you were mormon...j/k. No, I didn't know you were looking for a job! Sorry sorry to hear that! It is weird when you need husbands the most, you treat them the worst. We have all been there.I pray everything will work out and I am so glad it is better this time around.

Mark and Jessica said...

So glad to hear you guys are doing so much better this time around - do you have any food to share? ;-)

randi said...

awwwww, that was music to my ears! loved it, love you!

Anonymous said...

You're so amazing :)

Susan Anderson said...

This is my first time visiting your blog, and I have to agree with your R.S. sisters. You ARE real.

And it's nice!

=)