Thursday, July 1, 2010

I Can't Believe I missed It!

My sweet husband took Bryon and Aly on a trip to St George, Utah for an Avery Family Reunion this week.

Brave, I know.

Timmy and I stayed home because he had summer school. (I maybe had a premiere of Eclipse, but the MAIN reason was summer school. I swear.)

While on this trip, my Bryon apparently met someone who speaks his language.

My father in law has a cousin with a 22 year old son who has cerebral palsy. He has minimal speech and is in a wheel chair.

We have been working hard with my Bryon over the last few years to get him to actively engage with other people. He is very tolerant of parallel play, but will not attempt to initiate in an activity. Especially with a stranger.

Or so I thought...

The moment this family arrived, Bryon was at attention and made a beeline for his cousin.

He was so happy.

He gave him a hug. A perfect stranger. And he gave him a freaking hug. It's a miracle.

When his parents took him out of his chair, Bryon sat right down by him. His cousin rocked, Bryon flapped his hands, and they made their various happy noises.

Bryon even took a ride in the wheelchair.

It's amazing. I am a little bummed that after 6 years of trying to get him to initiate in play with peers, he did it with zero prompts, and I missed it.

Oh, well.

5 comments:

Donda said...

That's great but too bad you missed it :( My niece has CP. Maybe Byron just wants to pick his own friends?

Maxine Conrad said...

Oh my gosh - that is SOOO cute :) Hope Scott took some pictures of this happy occasion x

Dawna Greer said...

Perhaps they were communicating spirit to spirit, true soulmates! What a special experience it would have been for you to watch! Perhaps it will be a beginning for him.

Skousen Seven said...

What a special milestone!!! I'm so happy for you all. Sorry you missed it but what a miracle!

melissabastow said...

That's awesome. Except for the missing it part. But still awesome.
(And I firmly believe in sending husbands to family reunions by themselves whether or not there is summer school or Eclipse or whatever - I hate family reunions, they're practically evil.)