Thursday, September 9, 2010

Frustrating



I feel for the parents in this video. I know how they feel and how hard it is to raise these kids.

I just hate the way they treat autism like it's a death sentence. They spend thousands of dollars a year on medications and therapies to "fix" their child.

Maybe I'm not as good a parent as these people because I don't let autism overwhelm my life. Maybe I take it too lightly.

I guess I am one of those people that is "throwing these kids away." I am not out to try every new therapy and medication that comes out that will make them batter.

I accept my children as they are and don't see them as broken.

Maybe I'm wrong, but we're happy.

4 comments:

v said...

I watch these things sometimes, Tenille, and I think of you every time. I always feel like you are filled so much love, hope, acceptance, and realism compared to a lot of these people.

They are busy being negative and lamenting the things their children may never do and the things they may never experience, and you generally seem to be excited about each new possibility, and each new step your kids make.

I would think that your way is so much better, not only for you, but for the kids. I see you write things that show the pride and joy and love you feel for your children all the time, and all I see from these people is embarrassment about their children. That can't be good for the kids.

melissabastow said...

I like how they start out the video with just a bunch of screaming - a great first impression of their attitude towards autism.

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

I can see myself falling into these mothers way of thinking because the judgement you get from people (at first glance--However, I don't think they would judge as harshly if they knew). .It would be hard not to feel embarrassed only because people can be cruel towards things they do know or understand. But I do have to say that Tenille, you way of thinking is MUCH better and I commend you for it.

Judi said...

I think if there were more parents with your kind of attitude, the world would be a better place Tenille!