Friday, November 12, 2010

Goals

I had an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meeting this morning for my sweet Timmy.

This was the first time in 3 years that we did not set a goal regarding eye contact.

I feel okay about this because we were defining insanity. You know, doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

We all felt like he was doing well enough in other areas that we should focus on what is really important (math, reading, social skills).

The sad part is, I was left wondering if my baby is ever going to look me in the eye. He will glance in my direction and acknowledge my existence, but he won't actually look at me.

I kind of feel like we are accepting defeat and that he might not ever do it.

It's one of those things that most parents take for granted because they don't know any different.

I kind of envy them.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I am one that has taken that for granted. I won't anymore. Tenille, you are such a strong woman!

Katz said...

Sigh. We haven't gotten to that point yet. We're on our very first IEP with goals like "respond to his name 2x in an hour". I totally understand. HUGS!

melissabastow said...

I kind of, pretty much totally, hate IEP meetings.

And, just my opion, I don't think you're giving up on eye contact. It might be one of those things that you can come back to once other things are easier for him. Maybe?

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Ooh, what Melissa said.

That girl is so smart.