Saturday, January 10, 2009

Please Don't Apologize

For those of you that think you need to apologize when you find out my son has Autism, please don't. I don't understand why you feel you need to. Have you met my son? He is a freaking rock star. I adore him just as he is. Are you implying that the screaming, dirt eating maniac you call a child is somehow preferable to my sweet, even tempered, singing, snuggling, kissy, snugglebug? Because guess what? He's not. Sorry. He may have autism, but my child is way better than your child ever will be. Plus, I get 80 hours a month with the best Hab/Respite worker I have ever met. So, actually, I kind of feel sorry for you.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Now who's pissing you off? Was it the same rag from the checkout lane? lol

Skousen Seven said...

I can't believe how rude people can be! My take on it is that he is such a special spirit, the Lord knew that you would be the best mom to raise him. That also says alot about you! You are such an awesome mom. Those people need a reality check!!!!!

Dawna Greer said...

I just found your blog through Tiff's and have gone all the way and read it all. You are amazing and as Wendy said, the Lord knew what he was doing when he gave you the 'scenic route' instead of the 'Italy tour.' Though I will say that raising any child is no picnic and my days as a mother with little kids were similar in many ways--writing on walls, running away, messes everywhere, etc.

I marveled during the family reunion last summer at how patient you and Scott were with your precious little ones--that's a difficult attribute for any parent to learn and many never do.

The portraits taken by your sister-in-law of your children are adorable! Love your blog!

Sorry that people can be so rude and give unsolicited advice, opinion, and judgement in situations they know nothing about. Keep up the good work.