Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Things That Piss Me Off...

There are a lot of things that make me mad. This may have to be a regular segemnt on my blog...

This was the status of a FB friend last week. She has 2 autistic children.

Fact(s) of the Day:
More children will be diagnosed with Autism this year than cancer,
diabetes, Down's Syndrome and AIDS combined. Autism receives less than
5% of the research funding allocated to US childhood disorders.

This is a true statement. However...

Do NOT lump autism in with cancer. Or AIDS. Are you serious?? Diabetes?

Among "childhood disorders" I cannot honestly say that I feel autism is on a level with cancer.

As a mother of 2 autistic children, I can tell you that I would sooner donate my money to pediatric cancer than autism.

Does autism need research? Sure. Is it killing children? No.

I do not have to fear autism taking my childs life.
I do not have to watch my child waste away from some hideous, horrible disease.
My sons are not living in a hospital for treatment.
They are not in constant pain.

They learn differently.
They need speech therapy.
They get overstimulated very easily.

They will not die because of it.

5 comments:

Donda said...

What a great outlook!

Mark and Jessica said...

Never thought of it that way - I guess it makes sense.

Cluttered Brain said...

I agree with Donda. What a great outlook you have. I think we need mre people like you in this world.

:)

Maxine Conrad said...

Yeh for you Tenille! I would rather see Autistic children like yours than those suffering with cancer! Well said my friend :)

The Merrills said...

All true