Sunday, July 11, 2010

Things That Really, Really Piss Me Off

I am not even going to pretend that I am ok with the following statement, because I am not.

I am so not.

This is me seething with anger.

A friend on facebook "likes" this status from another autism mom on facebook:

"So sad to see so many say Autism cant be cured, without them even trying! Anything caused by the environment CAN be cured! Epidemics are NOT caused by Genes but by environment. Autism is at epidemic rates. I challenge anyone to show me an epidemic, in the history of the world, caused by genes! - you wont find one because it has never happen and never will! The sooner everyone realises that, the better!"

Where shall I begin? I should probably write this at a time when I am not enraged, but since when have I been a sensible kind of girl? Never. That's when.

Autism is not caused by the "environment"

I do not feel that autism is an "epidemic"

I am not interested in a cure. No matter the cost.

I'm sorry, but is she comparing autism to things like the plague? Really?

Wow. Just wow.

It's times like this that I am glad I am "one of those autism moms." You know, the ones that ruin everything by saying that they are ok with their kid being autistic or that they don't need a cure or that they don't think vaccines caused autism or the one that isn't on "the diet".

Rest assured that I will never compare autism to the plague or any other "epidemic" that wiped out entire villages with painful, horrifying deaths that left women widows and children orphans.

My kids are not dying. They learn differently and they behave differently.

The End

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I totally agree!

Theres just life said...

Ever notice the ones giving the advise have never dealt with the problem. They always heard about it from a reliable source or a good friend of a friend. Hang in there and go ahead and let off steam when you need to.

Anonymous said...

You're an amazing mom. You've decided to enjoy your kids as they are rather than frantically searching for a way to change them, and I love you for that.