Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Love When People "Get It"

I have lost count of how many times this has happened to me, but it happened twice on Monday.

Most of the time, when older people see your kids being bratty or sad in a store they stare or shake their heads or you overhear that loudly whispered "When my kids were young..." or "I never allowed..."

You know what I am talking about.

So imagine my surprise when, while holding a sad, wiggling child, older ladies (one was probably 70 something and the other at least in her 60's) approached and started helping me unload my cart.

1st at WalMart and again at Costco. I turn around and there they are with a sweet smile and an explanation of, "I've been there before."

It absolutely made my day.

I love when these ladies remember what being a mother of young kids is "actually" like.

I know people say hind sight is 20/20, but it's more like 60/40. People only remember what they want to remember and how they want to remember it.

It was so nice to come across people who remember what it is really like.

3 comments:

M'Liss said...

When Marni wasn't married yet we were at a store shopping. There was a little boy sitting in a shopping cart and when Marni looked at him he stuck his tongue out and spit right at her. She couldn't believe it. She then said, "My kids will never do that." or something like that. Well, her sweet Logan does that and more. Don't you wish that these "old" people would remember that every kid does in fact spit at you, hit you, bites you, and pretty much acts like a kid. I got my share of stares when Jarom was little and more than I could handle. It makes ME want to go right up to them and stick my tongue out and spit at them. Can't blame kids for having a bad day. Yay for the older and wiser ladies that didn't take the time to judge but in fact took the time to help.

Mental Health said...

I have had these same experiences. I'm glad that these women chose to help you instead of judge.

Judi said...

:o)