Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm 30

Yeah, so Saturday is my birthday. I'm going to be 30.

Now, here's the deal...

Everyone says, "oh 30, that's nothing. I'm going to be (fill in the blank)"

That's nice. But I think you are forgetting what it was like to turn 30. I'll bet it was hard.

It's hard. It really is. I am no longer a 20 something. You can say 20 something and still feel 22 when you are really 29 1/2.

30 is 30. I will reassure people that I am only 30 and not "thirty something." (wasn't that a tv show or something? anyway, it's beside the point.)

The point is, I guess since I have a 7 year old and wasn't a 14 year old mother, I better be 30.

Maybe now people will take me seriously. It's hard to talk about adult topics like autism and treatments and therapies and IEPs, etc and have people look at you like, "ok, who is really making this decision because it better not be this little girl."
To be fair, I think the same thing. Only more like "who the hell put me in charge of this?"

Anyway... after a nice chat with a friend of mine, I have decided to embrace where I am in life. There's no point looking back because you can't do anything to change it and it's no use to try to predict the future because you can't.

So, this is me, hoping for the best and trying not to think about all the kids that started college this fall and were in 1st grade when I graduated from high school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll still be twenty something to me! Derrick turns 30 next week. I know it probably feels huge and hard at the same time. I know I will probably go through all those feelings when I come to that point in time too. Happy (early) Birthday. We love you!

melissabastow said...

I'll be 30 in a few months. Kind of dreading it though. No embracing of age going on here.

Amy Jo Madsen said...

Happy late birthday! I went through a similar thing when I turned 30, and I have to say it took me much longer to be OK with it. Like, until around now. Which is OK, I guess, except that I'll be 35 in a couple of weeks and I'm going through the same kind of freak-out. So...congrats on being mentally healthy (at least about turning 30!). You've got me beat.