Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What Part of "He Doesn't Chew" Do You Not Understand??

I have been working hard with my doctor and my DDD/DES case coordinator to get my son some pediasure delivered to our house. (Have you ever purchased pediasure? it ain't cheap.)

The doc has recommended that I give him 2 a day to help supplement his vitamins, calories, etc, because my son doesn't chew.

Yes, I said he DOESN'T CHEW!

My BryBry eats the following:

Instant oatmeal
Yogurt
Pudding
Gerber stage 3 baby food (Gerber and only Gerber. He will check the label to be sure you aren't pulling a fast one. he is on to me)
Macaroni and cheese (mixed in with the babyfood so he can swallow it whole. yes, it is as weird as it sounds. kind of like a snake unhinging its jaw. seriously.)

That's it. He will occasionally eat applesauce and I have recently introduced greek yogurt (12 grams of protein per serving, hello).

I have become a master of mixing vanilla ice cream and half & half in the oatmeal to increase calories.

But that's it. That's all. He consumes so few calories per day because, let's face it, yogurt only has so many calories in it.

However, because I have magically somehow managed to keep my child @ the 50th percentile for weight, he was denied the pediasure by my super awesome (insert sarcasm here) insurance company.

At this point, my only hope is that he is "underweight" for an 8 year old since he is clearly not underweight for a 7 year old.

I hate people.

1 comments:

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Yeah, except for if you LOOK AT HIM.
If he was in the 50th percentile for height WITH the weight, maybe. Stupid insurance.